Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Masked Theives

So last night as I was coming down the stairs from our bedroom I spotted a racoon outside coming up our walk; I quickly called Derek to check it out. This is the first live racoon we have seen since we have been here. (We have seen plenty not so alive on the side of the road.) When we went to unlock the front door to take a picture we scared it away into the back yard. So a couple hours later we are lying in bed & hear our trash lid close shut. Odviously, this little bugger is rummaging through our trash. So Derek decides he wants to get a video of this big guy, so he throws some shrimp out on the back deck as bait. While doing this he sees a baby racoon run away, now we know of two. Our plan at 11:30 is for me to go around to the side of the house & shine a flashlight on the racoon & get him out of the trash & hopefully to the backyard so that Derek can film him out the sliding glass door. Reluctantly I tiptoe outside, knowing at any moment a rabid racoon is going to come barrelling out of the bushes & attack me. I sneak around & I can't see him because it is pitch dark & I am holding the worlds smallest flashlight. I go inside & tell Derek that he is the man, & he should be the one going outside & I should be the one sitting inside with the video camera. Derek then goes outside & can't see him either. We stay up looking out the door for about 45 minutes & then decide it is time to go to bed. We climb into bed & a few minutes later hear the garbage can lid again. By this time it is 12:45 & we decide we could care less about the racoon & go to bed. Sorry no footage of our little buddy, although the shrimp were gone off the deck this morning.

7 comments:

Charlotte said...

Hi Heather, So I stumbled onto your blog and I was so excited to see you and your cute family! Your kids are so cute, I don't think I have ever seen them. How fun to have a little red-head! I love this new blogging world, it just helps to keep up with people so much more, I've been having fun with it! Love your story of the raccoons! My daughter was reading the story with me and she says to tell you that maybe the raccoons will come again and you can record them for us!

Kevin said...

Sounds like Derek was scared of the raccoons and was willing to put you in harms way just to save his own skin. Maybe next time they come around he'll worry more about saving his manhood instead. (All of that above was just for fun at Derek's expense.) On a serious note, maybe these little critters could become your new best friends - especially if you continue to invite them over for shrimp dinners - just a thought.

Sherri said...

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for this one! If one never saw the racoon the scenerio of you and Derek trying to see the racoon would have been entertainment enough. Let's hope your little critters don't become the hassle our peacock friend, "drinky", became. All of the sudden the movie "Over the Hedge comes to mind."

Jen Paris said...

love the story! I was cracking up before I finished reading it about how DEREK wanted YOU to go outside while he manned the video camera....tooooo funny! Anyways, are you guys all ready for your trip? Are we going to see you or will you be busy the whole time?

Jami said...

funny story! I am glad we don't see any racoons around here- I have heard they can actually be pretty mean little things- so watch out! I'm glad to hear that you guys are coming out, I hope we get to see you! Are you doing Grey's baptism in our ward on Sunday?

Jen Paris said...

me again...so, THIS Wednesday?

AnaLee M. said...

Hi guys! I found your link from Lawon. How exciting! What a cute blog. I had a good time reading through it. It looks like you're having fun together. Now that I know where you are (in the blogging world) I'll be checking in more.

This was a great story by the way!